Our History

Mt. Moriah Baptist Church has a rich heritage and legacy.  Former slaves that attended First Mt. Moriah Baptist Church organized our church. One hundred and five slave forefathers worshiped in the gallery of First Mt. Moriah Baptist Church from 1835 until 1871.  Thirty-seven freedmen and women asked to transfer membership from First Mt. Moriah Baptist Church so they could organize their own Church.  Our forefathers began to pray and sing songs of Zion under a “Brush Arbor” that was located in the vicinity of the old cemetery and near the spring.  Later, a log cabin was built and used for worship services during the period of 1872 – 1923.

 

Historical records indicate that the cornerstone for the wood frame Church was laid in 1923 and was used until our current brick Church was completed in 1968.  Ground breaking for the present building was held on May 21, 1967.  This Church had a sanctuary with a baptism pool, an assembly room with a small kitchenette, eight classrooms, three restrooms and a Pastor’s study.  We were blessed to be able to burn our mortgage on October 3, 1976 under the leadership of Pastor Millon Greggs. 

 

Our Church Family membership grew from 155 members during the early sixties to approximately 300 by the early eighties.  It was necessary to add more space for the Sunday School classes and regular church services. Our first addition included adding four more classrooms, a ladies lounge, nursery, and office to the main floor and building a kitchen, dining area and more restrooms on the lower level.  This construction was completed in 1984.  During this period many members accepted God’s call and continue today spreading the Gospel through various church ministries.

 

Pastor and Mrs. Raymond Adams became our spiritual leaders in September 1986 and have continued the legacy of winning souls to Christ. Our congregation has continued to grow and led to our second major church renovation, which was completed in 1997.  The choir and pulpit area was enlarged, the baptism pool was replaced, restrooms were added to the front, a bridal room, stained glass windows, new sanctuary lights, a clothing closet, new pastor’s study with an office and restroom, covered entrance and paved grounds. In 2007 the choir and music ministry space was expanded as well as renovation of the flooring, window treatments, and landscaping. The sound system was updated and the power point screens were installed to enhance the worship service. We are truly grateful for each place God has provided for us to worship.

 

As our church ministries continue to grow by the guidance of Our Lord and Savior, we will continue our Bible teaching through Worship Service, Weekday Bible study, Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Music and Praise Ministry, Lighthouse Puppetry, Awana, Video Ministry, Prison Ministry, Brotherhood,  Missionary, and Foodservice Outreach to the elderly and sick members. Our future plans include expanding our church ministries for Youth, Young adults, Senior’s and Outreach Evangelism.

 

More than eighteen members have been called to preach and spread the Gospel.  Our Church members have dedicated their lives to Christ and are working through many of our church ministries. We have accepted the call to help win souls for Christ. We give all praises to God for His Grace, these blessings and favor of many healing miracles. We are committed to serve our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and do His will of spreading the Gospel during the future.

Deacons of Mount Moriah Baptist Church
Deacons of Mount Moriah Baptist Church

Robert Greene (Deacon Chair), Ronald Forrest (Vice Chair), Pierce Sullivan (Treasurer), Bernard Watson (Church Clerk), Robert Watson, Jr., Gerald Witt, James Gunby, Clarence Griffin (Deacon Emeritus), Robert Watson, Sr. (Deacon Chair Emeritus).

press to zoom
Trustees of Mount Moriah
Trustees of Mount Moriah

Trustees of Mount Moriah Baptist Church

press to zoom
Deacons of Mount Moriah Baptist Church
Deacons of Mount Moriah Baptist Church

Robert Greene (Deacon Chair), Ronald Forrest (Vice Chair), Pierce Sullivan (Treasurer), Bernard Watson (Church Clerk), Robert Watson, Jr., Gerald Witt, James Gunby, Clarence Griffin (Deacon Emeritus), Robert Watson, Sr. (Deacon Chair Emeritus).

press to zoom
1/2
Baptist Church Covenant.jpg